Provide plastics engineering input to support injection molding related engineering activities. Provide technical direction for plastic part design, component and mold cost estimating as well as injection mold design, build, and processing at outside suppliers. Determine component material and tooling strategy to best meet component design, cost, capacity, and quality requirements.
1) Establish DFM guidelines and metrics for injection molded plastic part designs based on tool maker and molder capabilities.
2) Develop and manage tools and methods for accurately estimating component and tooling costs based on preliminary part designs.
3) Develop and manage tools, methods, and metrics for predicting the number of shots required to obtain passing FAI status for new designs.
4) Provide concurrent design support to design engineers on part design, material selection, manufacturing processes to ensure functionality, cost, and DFM objectives are met.
5) Manage trade-off scenarios with design engineers between part design and tooling strategies when cost and DFM objectives cannot be met.
6) Works with suppliers and engineers to make sure that 3D printing is used as a method of fabricating parts. Candidate must have 3D printing experience.
7) Approve part design and part drawings prior to release for tooling.
8) Work with commodity management, procurement, and resin vendors to define, establish, and maintain a core set of resins to maximize sourcing leverage.
9) Establish a ratio of core vs non-core resins. Lead change efforts to keep ratios within defined targets.
10) Work with design engineers to identify appropriate materials for designs which require unique or special resins.
11) Assist Commodity Management by recommending or rejecting suppliers for component tooling placement.
12) Assist Supplier Development Engineering in communicating requirements to Suppliers.
13) Work with Supplier Development Engineering to validate suppliers have process capabilities in place to satisfy the Critical to Quality (CTQ) characteristics for each component.
14) Develop design and molding strategies with suppliers.
15) Approve tooling design and initial molding process parameters.
16) Communicate regularly with suppliers during tooling development and report status back to design engineer and NPD core team on progress, issues, and changes.
17) Lead technical resource for communications between Design Engineers and the Suppliers during recurring tooling development meetings that are facilitated by NPI PM.
18) Responsible for Working with suppliers to resolve technical tooling issues during tooling development and initial part manufacturing.
19) Support part qualification process assuring all component tooling needs and critical to quality parameters are met.
Education: BS in Manufacturing or Mechanical Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
Experience: 7-10 years tool design experience.
Strong project management skills and knowledge of mold design and injection mold processing required.
3D capable – Pro-E/SolidWorks proficient.
Must have experience with the 3D printing process, materials, capabilities and applications.
Good written and verbal communication skills needed.
Experience in Molding Process Qualification / Validation, Six Sigma, and plastic part design preferred.
Domestic and International Travel required.
Chinese & English speaking required.